Teens often use clothing to express their individuality or to impress their peers. Although there are no uniform requirements at Reagan IB, students must follow MPS District policy regarding attire. Simply put, student clothing should be respectful, non-offensive and appropriate for the educational process to run effectively.
Students who wear inappropriate clothing are sent to an administrator. Parents maybe contacted for alternative clothing or the administrator may provide appropriate clothing from a school clothing bin, when available. Other disciplinary actions may occur if inappropriate dress becomes a habitual offense.
The Reagan IB basic dress code rules are:
- No student is permitted into classrooms wearing clothing that reveals the midriff, belly button or under garments.
- Skirt/shorts must be the same length or longer than the length of the fingertips when arms are extended downward at your side.
- Tank tops/spaghetti straps are not allowed.
- Mesh shirts must have solid clothing underneath.
- Pants may not be sagging below the hips or displaying undergarments.
- Clothing with inappropriate slogans, references to drugs, alcohol, profanity, sexual content, or gang-related apparel are not allowed.
- Pajamas or stuffed animals may not be brought into or worn at school.
- Shoes must be worn at all times as per state law.
- Jackets may not be worn during the school day. Plan on bring in a sweater or sweatshirt for added warmth when necessary.
- All head wear is to be removed upon entry and stored in the student’s locker. (Headwear can only be worn to comply with official religious practices.)
- Any clothing items confiscated by staff will be held until the end of the school day. Multiple confiscation of an item may require a parent to retrieve the item.
We strongly encourage students to never bring valuable items or large amounts of money to school. Reagan IB staff cannot be responsible for the theft of money or valuables. Please leave what you truly treasure at home.